Prof. Massimo Bongiovanni (MD)
Associate Professor of Pathology, CHUV, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
Prof. Bongiovanni received his MD from the University of Turin (Italy) in 1996, under the supervision of Professor G. Bussolati. He trained in pathology at the University of Turin, followed by postdoctoral training at the Graz University, Graz (Austria) and at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston (USA).
He then moved to the University Hospital of Geneva (Switzerland) where he obtained his ”Privat Docent” title. After a short period as Director of Cytopathology at the Cantonal Institute of Pathology in Locarno (Switzerland) he was appointed as Associate Professor of Pathology at the University of Lausanne and Head of Cytopathology at the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois (CHUV) in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Prof. Bongiovanni main research efforts are focused on the early diagnosis of cancer, especially in lung, head and neck and thyroid carcinomas.
Two strategies are applied to reach the goals of cancer prevention:
1) the morphological identification of precancerous lesions under the microscope;
2) the application of molecular test to fine-needle aspiration material and cytological material to stratify malignancy risk cancer patient to better guide patients management.
Prof. Bongiovanni is also active in the pre-graduate and post-graduate teaching program of the Lausanne University.
- Bongiovanni M, Molinari F, Eszlinger M, Paschke R, Barizzi J, Merlo E, Giovanella L, Fasolini F, Cattaneo F, Ramelli F, Mazzucchelli L, Frattini M. Laser capture microdissection is a valuable tool in the preoperative molecular screening of follicular lesions of the thyroid: an institutional experience. Cytopathology. 2014 Dec 8. doi: 10.1111/cyt.12226. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 25487739.
- Bongiovanni M, Piana S, Spitale A, Valli R, Carlinfante G, Gardini G. Comparison of the diagnostic accuracy of thyroid fine-needle aspiration in follicular-patterned lesions using a 5-tiered and a 6-tiered diagnostic system: a double-blind study of 140 cases with histological confirmation. Diagn Cytopathol. 2014 Sep;42(9):744-50. doi: 10.1002/dc.23115. Epub 2014 Feb 19. PubMed PMID: 24554627.
- Bongiovanni M, Spitale A, Faquin WC, Mazzucchelli L, Baloch ZW. The Bethesda System for Reporting Thyroid Cytopathology: a meta-analysis. Acta Cytol. 2012;56(4):333-9. doi: 10.1159/000339959. Epub 2012 Jul 25. Review. PubMed PMID: 22846422.
- Bongiovanni M, Crippa S, Baloch Z, Piana S, Spitale A, Pagni F, Mazzucchelli L, Di Bella C, Faquin W. Comparison of 5-tiered and 6-tiered diagnostic systems for the reporting of thyroid cytopathology: a multi-institutional study. Cancer Cytopathol. 2012 Apr 25;120(2):117-25. doi: 10.1002/cncy.20195. Epub 2011 Oct 13. PubMed PMID: 21998003.
- Faquin WC, Bongiovanni M, Sadow PM. Update in thyroid fine needle aspiration. Endocr Pathol. 2011 Dec;22(4):178-83. doi: 10.1007/s12022-011-9182-7. Review. PubMed PMID: 21997833.
- Bongiovanni M, Krane JF, Cibas ES, Faquin WC. The atypical thyroid fine-needle aspiration: past, present, and future. Cancer Cytopathol. 2012 Apr 25;120(2):73-86. doi: 10.1002/cncy.20178. Epub 2011 Jul 12. Review. PubMed PMID: 21751429.
- Bongiovanni M, Sadow PM, Faquin WC. Poorly differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a cytologic-histologic review. Adv Anat Pathol. 2009 Sep;16(5):283-9. doi: 10.1097/PAP.0b013e3181b50640. Review. PubMed PMID: 19700938.
- Bongiovanni M, Bloom L, Krane JF, Baloch ZW, Powers CN, Hintermann S, Pache JC, Faquin WC. Cytomorphologic features of poorly differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a multi-institutional analysis of 40 cases. Cancer. 2009 Jun 25;117(3):185-94. doi: 10.1002/cncy.20023. PubMed PMID: 19365842