Dr Zacharie Sando (MD MPH)
Associated Professor, Pathologist, Cytopathologist at the University of Yaoundé, Cameroon.
Prof. Zacharie Sando graduated as an MD from the University of Yaoundé (Cameroon, 1989) before specialising in biology andreproductive medicine in Geneva (1993). For the following 6 years, Dr Sando trained in pathology and cytopathology at theUniversity of Geneva and Lausanne under the supervision of Thomas Seemayer, Pierre Vassilakos, Bernard Czernobilsky(University of Geneva) and Fred Bosman (University of Lausanne). He completed a MPH study at the CathololicUniversity of Central Africa, Yaoundé in 2013.
In 1999, Dr Sando returned to Cameroon where he was appointed as the head of the Pathology Unit at the regional Hospital of Garoua. He then moved to the Gynaeco-obstetric and Pediatric teaching Hospital (HGOPY) of the capital city of Yaoundé in2002, functioning as the chief of the pathology service. He was also promoted as a senior lecturer in the Department of Morphological Sciences and Pathology at the University of Yaoundé in 2009 and associated Professor in 2015.
Prof. Sando was elected as executive secretary of Cameroon association for cancerology and anatomic pathologyin 2010, and is a member of the Institutional Ethics Committee of HGOPY. His team is the recipient of numerous awards, such as “best research and presentation” at the 5th international workshop in cervical cancer prevention and Colposcopyin 2015, Cameroon.
Prof. Sando is also actively involved in teaching activities and is recipient of the Ministry of Higher Education awards as the well and appreciated lecturer of the Faculty of Medicine of the university of Yaoundé, during years 2009, 2010, 2011.
Early detection, microscopic diagnosis and epidemiology of precancerous lesions and cervical cancer
Detection, and prognostic factors of breast cancer
- Robyr R, Nazer S, Vassilakos P, Matute JC, Sando Z, Halle G, Mbakop A, Campana A.feasibility of cytology based cervical cancer screening in rural cameroon. Acta cytol 46 : 1110-1116,2002.
- Tebeu PM , Major AL, Rapiti E, Petignat P, Bouchardy C , Sando Z et al. The attitude and knowledge of cervical cancer by Cameroonian women; clinical survey conducted in Maroua, the capital of Far North Province of Cameroon Int J Gynecol Cancer 2007, doi:10.1111/j.1525-1438.2007.01066.x
- Guegang E, Moifo B, Belley Priso E , Sando Z, Sandjong I, Tebeu P, Mahamat M, Mboudou E, Yomi J, Doh A, Gonsu FJ. Apport de la mammographie et de líanatomopathologie dans la recherche des lÈsions tumorales mammaires au cours díune campagne de dÈpistage et de diagnostic de masse ‡ YaoundÈ (Cameroun). J Afr Imag MÈd 2011 ; (4), 7 : 345-354.
- Foumane P, Sando Z, Dohbit Sama J, Biloío Lesly L, Mboudou Emile T, Essame Oyono JL. The diagnosis of uterine cervical polyps in low resource settings: the positive predictive value of clinical judgment ñ a series of 192 cases at YaoundÈ Gynaeco- ObstÈtric and Paediatric Hospital, Cameroon. Tropical doctor, june 2013, doi: 101177/049475513486783
- Sando Z, MCkee T, Pache JC, Kemajou H, Folem O, Rubbia-Brandt L, Doh AS. Human Papillomavirus Genotypes in the High Grade Preinvasive cervical Lesions in YaoundÈ (Cameroon). American Journal of cancer Prevention 2013, 1 (3), 20-23
- Tebeu PM, Sando Z, Ndoumba A, Sandjong I, Mawech- Fauceglia P, Doh AS Prevalence and geographic distribution of precancerous lesions of the uterine cervix in Cameroon. J Cytol Histol 2013, 4: 183. doi 10.4172/2157-7099.1000183
- Gonsu Kamga JE, Moifo B, Sando Z, Guegang Goudjou E, Nkoío Amvene , Gonsu Fotsing J. FiabilitÈ des utilisateurs de la classification BI-RADS en milieu tropical pour la prÈdiction de la malignitÈ des lÈsions mammaires. Med SantÈ trop 2013, 23, 439-444.
- Zacharie Sando ,Tsuala Fouogue Jovanny, Forent Ymele Fouelifack, Emile TÈlesphore Mboudou, Jean Louis Essame Oyono. Gynaecological and Breast Cancer Profile in YaoundÈ ñ Cameroon. Pan African Medical Journal. 2014;17:28 doi:10.11604/pamj.2014.17.28.3447
- Moifo B, Guegang GE, Foumane P, Sando Z, Zeh OF, Wanko Woguep VL, Tebere H, Moulion Tapouh JR, Gonsu Kamga J. Valeur des signes Èchographiques dans la prÈdiction du potentiel malin des masses mammaires. J Afr Imag MÈd 2013; (5), 4 : 246-259.
- Sando Z, Fouelifack YF, Fouogue TJ, Fouedjio JH, Essame Oyono JL. Trends in Breast and cervical incidence in Cameroon (Central Africa) from 2004 to 2011. J Afr Cancer 2015; 7: 118-221.
- Zacharie Sando, Jean Claude Pache,Florent Ymele Fouelifack,Pascal Foumane, Emile Telesphore Mboudou,Jeanne Hortence Fouedjio,Jovanny Tsuala Fouogue, Jean Louis Essame Oyono. Cytopathological Aspects of breast discharge in women without palpable breast mass in YaoundÈ, Cameroon. Rec adv Path Lab.Med 2015; 1(1):12-16.
- Simon Manga, Groesbeck Parham, Nkoum Benjamin, Kathleen Nulah, Lisa Kennedy Sheldon,Edith Welty,Javier Gordon Ogembo, Leslie Bradford, Zacharie Sando, Ray Shields, Thomas Welty. Cervical Cancer Screening in Cameroon: Interobserver Agreement on the Interpretation of Digital Cervicography Results. J Lower Gen Tract Dis 2015 ; Volume 19, Number 4, PubliÈ en ligne juillet 2015 sur http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26164295: doi: 10.1097/LGT.0000000000000133
- Jean Dupont Kemfang Ngowa, Anny Ngassam, Jovanny Fouogue Tsuala, Juny Metogo, Zacharie Sando, AngËle Kabeyene, Jean Marie Kasia ( 2015). Management of Cervical Intra Epithelial Neoplasia by Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure in a Low Resource Country: An Experience from the YaoundÈ General Hospital, Cameroon. Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 5, 481-486. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/ojog.2015.59070